is not affiliated with any government agencies

IRS Tax Payment Plan

IRS Tax Payment Plan

Do you owe back taxes to the IRS? Are you having trouble coming up with the money to pay your Federal taxes? You are not alone.

If you cannot pay your tax debt within a reasonable timeframe, you can request to make monthly payments through an IRS tax payment plan known as an installment agreement.

>> Start Your FREE E-file

When it comes to setting up an IRS payment plan, there are a few options to choose from. In general, the type of arrangement you can obtain depends on the amount of taxes that you owe and how quickly you are able to pay. Let’s take a look at the different kinds of tax payment plans that are available through the IRS.

1. Individual Installment Agreement

This payment plan applies to individuals who owe $50,000 or less in income tax, interest, and penalties (combined). With an installment agreement, you can make regular monthly payments over time. Payments can be made through Direct Debit (from your bank account), check or money order, credit card (online or by phone), EFTPS (Electronic Federal Tax Payment System), payroll deduction (from your employer), or an Online Payment Agreement (OPA). When you set up an installment agreement, make sure you will be able to make the monthly payments without defaulting.

To apply for an installment agreement, fill-out and mail IRS Form 9465 (Installment Agreement Request). You can also apply through the website with the Online Payment Agreement Application. If you received an IRS notice or tax bill, you can call the phone number provided on the IRS letter to request a payment plan, or call the IRS Individual Assistance line at 1-800-829-1040.

READ: Dealing with Back Taxes

2. Installment Agreement for Individuals Who Owe Over $50,000

Individuals who fall into this category must submit Form 9465 as well as Form 433-F (Collection Information Statement). Form 433-F is used for obtaining your current financial information, in order to figure out how you can pay the overdue tax balance. On Form 433-F, you will be asked to list your accounts and lines of credit, plus real estate and any other assets you own. You’ll need to provide your employment information, including monthly income, as well as your monthly living expenses. Remember to attach your completed Form 433-F to Form 9465 and mail them together.

READ: IRS Tax Debt Relief

3. Small Business Installment Agreement

Businesses that owe $25,000 or less in back taxes may request an “In-Business Trust Fund Express” installment agreement (IBTF-Express IA). This type of payment plan usually doesn’t require a financial statement, although the business must currently have employees. An IBTF-Express IA provides a 24-month period to fully pay the outstanding tax debt. If the amount owed is greater than $10,000 (and below $25,000), the business must set up a Direct Debit installment agreement (DDIA). To apply for a small business payment plan, call the phone number on your IRS notice or tax bill, or call the IRS Business Assistance line at 1-800-829-4933. You can also apply through the website with the Online Payment Agreement Application.

Installment Agreement Fees

Note that it costs $120 to set up a standard agreement or payroll deduction agreement, and $52 to set up a Direct Debit agreement. If your income is below a certain level, the fee for setting up an installment agreement is $42. To request this reduced fee, submit Form 13844 (Application for Reduced User Fee for Installment Agreements). The charge for reinstating or restructuring an existing installment agreement is $50.

READ: How to Contact the IRS

How to Apply for an IRS Tax Payment Plan Online


How to apply for a payment plan online with the IRS” – EA Tax Resolutions

You May Also Like