Contact the IRS

by opahati

There are a variety of reasons why you may need to get in touch with the IRS. You may want to contact the IRS if you need to help with responding to an IRS notice, resolving a tax dispute, settling tax debt, or checking the status of your tax refund. Luckily, there are many different ways to contact the IRS.

>> FREE: E-File Your Taxes Today

Where’s My Refund?

If you want to check the status of your Federal tax refund, you can do it online, by telephone, or even with a smartphone application. The IRS “Where’s My Refund?” online tool tracks your tax refund by providing 3 simple alerts: Tax Return Received, Tax Refund Approved, and Tax Refund Sent. To use this popular online tool, visit the IRS official website ( Note that you will need to enter your personal information, including your Social Security Number (SSN), filing status, and tax refund amount (in exact whole dollars).

To check the status of your tax refund by telephone, you can call the IRS Refund Hotline (800-829-1954). Or you can download the new smartphone application called “IRS2GO” which lets taxpayers communicate with the IRS and check the status of their refunds from a mobile device.

READ: When Will I Get My Federal Tax Refund?

Settle IRS Tax Debt

If you owe back taxes, there are a few ways you can contact the IRS to settle your tax debt. You can request to set up an “Installment Agreement” which allows you to pay your tax debt via monthly payments over a period of time. This type of payment plan can be applied for online through the official IRS website, or by mailing a completed Form 9465 (Installment Agreement Request).

Another way to settle IRS tax debt is with an “Offer in Compromise” which allows the taxpayer to pay less than the full amount they actually owe. The IRS will consider this type of arrangement in certain circumstances. To apply, you must submit Form 656-B (Offer in Compromise Booklet) to the IRS.

READ: IRS Tax Debt Relief

Resolve Tax Disputes

If you are involved in an unresolved tax dispute with the IRS, you can contact the Taxpayer Advocate Service (TAS) to get assistance from a local advocate. There is at least one TAS office in every state. You can find the address and phone number of your local TAS office by visiting the IRS website or by calling (1-877-777-4778). Or you can complete Form 911 (Request for Taxpayer Advocate Service Assistance) and mail/fax it to your local TAX office.

Individuals with tax disputes and whose income is below a certain level may qualify to get free tax help through the Low-Income Taxpayer Clinic (LITC) Program. To find clinics in your area, see IRS Publication 4134 (Low Income Taxpayer Clinic List). Additionally, you can call the LITC Program Office (202-317-4700) or email for more information.

READ: Resolving Tax Problems May Be Easier Than You Think

IRS Website

The official IRS website offers many ways to contact the IRS, depending on your particular situation or concern. Visit the IRS website for more contact information if you need to report suspicious emails or identity theft, if you suspect tax fraud, if you want to contact your local IRS office or the IRS Return Preparer Program, if you need to order tax forms or obtain mailing addresses, if you want to make a voluntary offshore disclosure, or if you need to contact the IRS internationally. The IRS website also provides a list of IRS Hotlines and Toll-Free Numbers, as well as a directory for Telephone Assistance

FREE: Check Your 2015 Experian and TransUnion Credit Scores