is not affiliated with any government agencies

How to file tax extensions in New Jersey

The 2012 income tax returns for residents of the Garden State are due by April 15 (for calendar year filers). However, if you can't file by the due date, you can request a state tax extension.

Note that a tax extension only extends the time you have to file — there is no extension for time to pay tax owed. Make sure to pay at least 80 percent of your New Jersey income tax by the original filing deadline of your return (April 15) to avoid incurring penalties and interest charges.

If you filed a federal tax extension (IRS Tax Form 4868) and you do not owe state income tax, you will receive an automatic six-month tax extension. If you have a federal extension and you do owe income tax to New Jersey, use New Jersey Tax Form NJ-630 (Application for Extension of Time to File New Jersey Gross Income Tax Return) to make your tax payment. Remember to enclose a copy of your federal tax extension form with your New Jersey tax return when filed.

If you didn't request a federal extension, you can use Form NJ-630 to apply for a state tax extension and/or to make a tax payment (to satisfy the 80 percent requirement). The New Jersey Division of Taxation will only notify you if your state extension request has been denied.

Mail Form NJ-630 to the following address:
State of New Jersey, Division of Taxation, Revenue Processing Center, PO Box 282, Trenton, New Jersey 08646-0282

Here are some online resources for residents of The Garden State:

  • New Jersey Division of Taxation website.
  • File your personal income tax extension online.

>> The following is a list that we've compiled of tax extension rules by states.


You May Also Like