is not affiliated with any government agencies

Maryland Tax Extension

The income tax returns for the state of Maryland are due by April 15.

However, if you cannot file your return (Form 502, 503, 505, or 515) on time, the state of Maryland will grant you an automatic 6-month extension as long as you have a valid Federal tax extension (IRS Tax Form 4868) and you owe zero income tax to Maryland. A state tax extension will extend your filing deadline to October 15.

If you want a state tax extension and you owe Maryland income tax, use Maryland Tax Form 502E (Maryland Application for Extension to File Personal Income Tax Return) to pay your state tax liability.

Make sure your tax payment is submitted by the original filing deadline (April 15th) to avoid penalties and interest charges.

Note that Form 502E should only be filed if you need to make a Maryland tax payment or if you did not request a Federal tax extension. Tax extension requests and tax payments can also be made online with the Comptroller of Maryland.

Mail Form 502E to:
Comptroller of Maryland Revenue Administration Division, 110 Carroll Street, Annapolis, Maryland 21411-0001

Here are some online resources for residents of state of Maryland:

  • Comptroller of Maryland Taxes website.
  • File your personal income tax extension online.

>> The following is a list that we've compiled of tax extension rules by states.


You May Also Like