Tennessee Tax ID (EIN) Number Application | How to Apply Online
Looking to obtain your Tax ID (EIN) Number in Tennessee? This short Tennessee Tax ID Application Guide will walk you through the basic steps you need to follow to apply for your Tax ID (EIN) Number in the state of Tennessee. Whether you own a Partnership, multi-member LLC, Corporation, Non-Profit, Trust or Estate, this guide will help you learn what you need to know to obtain your official IRS Tax ID Number within minutes.
Steps to Obtain your Tax ID (EIN) Number in Tennessee:
- Prepare Required Information
- Apply for a Tennessee Tax ID Online
- Apply for a Tennessee Tax ID by Phone, Mail or Fax
- How Do You Get a Tax ID Number?
- Do I Need a State EIN if I Have a Federal EIN?
- How Do I Get a Tennessee State Tax ID Number?
You won't be able to get a federal tax ID number or Tennessee state tax ID number unless you have all the required pieces of information. It's in your best interest to collect this information proactively, so you can complete the application process as quickly and smoothly as possible.
These are some of the most important bits you'll need:
- Your name, social security number, and address. First, you'll need your own name, your social security number (SSN), and your address. These will be necessary to provide evidence of your ownership, and establish a location to send paperwork related to your business.
- Names of all business members. If you're starting the business with other people (i.e., partners and/or co-founders), you'll need all their full legal names as well.
- SSNs and addresses of all business members. While you're at it, make sure you get the SSNs and home addresses of all those business members as well. These need to be on file with the federal and state government.
- A business name. You should have a business name picked out before you apply for any tax ID. It's possible to operate under a brand name that's different from your business name, but you should still put some thought into this.
When you're ready to get a tax ID for your Tennessee business, you'll have a couple of options for how to do it. The most convenient and most cost-effective strategy is to apply for your numbers online. When you do, you'll answer a few questions about you, your partners, and your business, and you'll get the correct tax ID number emailed to you within an hour.
For people who aren't comfortable doing things online, other options do exist. You can answer some of the same questions on paper, or over the phone, and use traditional processes like snail mail or fax to transfer your paperwork. The big problem here is that it often takes up to 4 to 6 weeks to process these applications, putting your business plans on hold.
Your business will likely need a federal tax ID number- also called an employer identification number (EIN). This number registers your business with the federal government, and is required if you're going to hire employees, or if your business involves more than one person. You'll use it when opening business bank accounts or new lines of credit, and when filing for taxes at the end of the year, as well as for various applications and paperwork.
Getting a federal tax ID for your Tennessee business is simple. Make use of our one-hour tax ID number obtainment services for businesses, and we'll register your business with the federal government and get you set up within an hour!
At this point, you may be wondering if you have a federal EIN, do you also need a State Tax ID? The short answer is
You'll be pleased to know that getting a Tennessee state tax ID number is as simple as getting your federal tax ID, and the process is highly similar. You'll answer many of the same questions, and if you use our Tennessee state tax ID number obtainment services, you can do the entire process online.
If you're confused by this process, don't worry- many new entrepreneurs find themselves intimidated by the amount of paperwork and registry necessary to get a tax ID established. But as long as you have the right information, you can get your Tennessee state tax ID in just a few simple steps.