Mississippi Tax ID (EIN) Number Application | How to Apply Online
Looking to obtain your Tax ID (EIN) Number in Mississippi? This short Mississippi Tax ID Application Guide will walk you through the basic steps you need to follow to apply for your Tax ID (EIN) Number in the state of Mississippi. Whether you own a Partnership, multi-member LLC, Corporation, Non-Profit, Trust or Estate, this guide will help you learn what you need to know to obtain your official IRS Tax ID Number within minutes.
Steps to Obtain your Tax ID (EIN) Number in Mississippi:
- Prepare Required Information
- Apply for a Mississippi Tax ID Online
- Apply for a Mississippi Tax ID by Phone, Mail or Fax
- How Do You Apply for a State Tax ID Number?
- How to Get a State Tax ID Number for a Small Business
When you're ready to get your federal tax ID or Mississippi state tax ID, your first step is securing a few pieces of information. You'll need to provide these details (and others) to complete the application process, so it pays to get them handy:
- Your business name. You'll need to decide on a business name before you try to register your business. Think of something original that conveys what your company does.
- Your name (and the names of your partners). You should know your own full legal name, but make sure you also have the full legal names of your other partners and members.
- Your SSN (and the SSNs of your partners). Keep your social security number (SSN) and the SSNs of your partners available.
- Your address (and the addresses of your partners). You'll need to provide your own address and the addresses of your partners so you can get any paperwork necessary for your business.
- Articles of incorporation and partnership agreements. You can technically get your tax IDs without a partnership agreement or an articles of incorporation document in place, but it's better if you have them completed so you know who your core members are and how they're involved in the business.
When you apply for a tax ID (either a federal tax ID or a Mississippi state tax ID), you'll have two main options: apply online, or apply via a traditional paper-based process. Applying online is far easier, more convenient, and more cost-effective- in fact, you can probably complete the process in a day. When you apply online, you'll simply answer a few questions about yourself and your business. When you're done, you'll get an email in an hour or less with your tax ID.
It's also possible to get a Mississippi state tax ID or federal tax ID by phone, mail, or fax, but these methods take much more time. You'll need to find and fill out the necessary paperwork, or give your information over the phone, then wait for your application to be processed and sent by mail. That could take up to 4 to 6 weeks, preventing you from moving forward with your business as quickly as you'd like.
You'll need to determine which tax ID numbers your business needs before you apply for them. There are two main types of ID number to consider for a Mississippi business- your federal tax ID (EIN, or employer identification number), and your Mississippi state tax ID.
You'll need a federal tax ID number if your business includes more than one person, if you plan on hiring employees, or if you're going to open a business bank account or business line of credit. This number serves as a unique identifier for your business (much like your personal SSN), and will be used in many applications throughout the course of your business. You'll also need it when filing for taxes. You'll need a Mississippi state tax ID number if you're going to hire a Mississippi employee, or if you're going to sell taxable goods and services in the state. This number also serves as a unique identifier, but registers you with the state of Mississippi, rather than the federal government.
The best way to get a Mississippi state tax ID for your small business is to apply online, so get your business ownership info ready. Simply complete the online questionnaire and you'll receive your state tax ID in the mail. Take advantage of our online application process - fast (taking less than an hour to complete) and reliable. You should obtain your tax ID as soon as you open your business. If you have all the information necessary to answer our prompts, make things easy on yourself by utilizing our tax ID number obtainment services, and get both your federal tax ID and Mississippi state tax ID delivered as soon as possible.