is not affiliated with any government agencies

How to file tax extensions in Tennessee

The Volunteer State does not have a personal income tax, but it does impose a tax on interest and dividends.

However, if your taxable interest and dividend income exceeds $1,250 (or $2,500 if married filing jointly) then you are required to file a state tax return. Tennessee tax returns are due by April 15.

If you cannot file your state return on time, the Tennessee Department of Revenue will grant you a six-month tax extension. For Tennessee, this includes an extension of time to file your state tax return and to pay your state tax due. To receive a state extension, you must either have a valid Federal tax extension (IRS Tax Form 4868) or you can complete Tennessee Tax Form INC-251 (Application for Extension of Time to File Individual Income Tax Return).

Make sure to include a copy of your Federal extension application or Form INC-251 with your return. And remember to file your tax return by the extended due date (October 15th) to avoid incurring penalties and interest charges.

Mail Form INC-251 to the following address:
Tennessee Department of Revenue, Andrew Jackson State Office Building, 500 Deaderick Street, Nashville, Tennessee 37242

Here are some online resources for residents of The Volunteer State:

  • Tennessee Department of Revenue website.
  • File your personal income tax extension online.

>> The following is a list that we've compiled of tax extension rules by states.


You May Also Like