is not affiliated with any government agencies

How to file tax extensions in Montana

The income tax returns for residents of Big Sky Country are due by April 15.

Starting tax year 2012, a taxpayer who owes $200 or less in state income tax will get an automatic six-month tax extension.

This tax extension extends the amount of time you have to file and pay Montana income tax. Remember that your state tax must be paid and your return must be filed by the new extended deadline (Oct. 15 for most individuals) in order to avoid penalties and interest charges.

The Treasure State will also grant an automatic six-month filing extension if you are a first-time filer. Note that you do not need to request a federal tax extension in order to get a Montana tax extension.

If you owe state income tax, you can use Montana Tax Form EXT-12 (Extension Payment Worksheet & Individual Income Tax Payment Voucher) to submit your payment. Taxpayers can also go online to make an electronic extension payment on the Montana Department of Revenue website.

Mail Form EXT-12 to the following address:
Montana Department of Revenue, PO Box 6309, Helena, Montana 59604-6309

Here are some online resources for residents of Big Sky Country:

  • Montana Department of Revenue website.
  • File your personal income tax extension online.

>> The following is a list that we've compiled of tax extension rules by states.


You May Also Like