is not affiliated with any government agencies

Michigan Tax Extension

Hey wolverines, the income tax returns for the Great Lakes State are due by April 15.

However, If you can't file your return on time and you owe state income tax, you can request a tax extension using Michigan Tax Form 4 (Application for Extension of Time to File Michigan Tax Returns).

Your extension application must be submitted with payment by the original filing deadline of your tax return (April 15) to avoid incurring penalties and interest charges.

If you don't have a federal tax extension, the Michigan Department of Treasury will grant you a 180-day state tax extension (for individual income tax and composite returns).

Taxpayers who have gotten a valid federal extension (IRS Tax Form 4868) can submit a copy of their federal extension application with their Michigan tax payment, instead of filling out a separate Form 4.

However, If you get a federal tax extension, the filing deadline for your Michigan tax return will be extended to the same date as your new federal deadline — for 2012 tax returns, a federal extension gives you six more months to file, extending your filing due date to Oct. 15, 2013.

Remember that an extension of time to file is not an extension of time to pay. If you owe Michigan income tax, you should include payment for your state tax liability with Form 4. Do not use Form 4 if you are not making a tax payment or if you are expecting a state tax refund.

Mail Form 4 with payment to the following address:
Michigan Department of Treasury, PO Box 30774, Lansing, Michigan 48909-8274

Here are some online resources for residents of The Great Lakes State:

  • Michigan Department of Treasury website.
  • File your personal income tax extension online.

>> The following is a list that we've compiled of tax extension rules by states.


You May Also Like