is not affiliated with any government agencies

How to file tax extensions in Hawaii

The Aloha State will grant you an automatic six-month tax extension if you cannot meet the filing deadline for your state income tax return. So lucky you, you don't need to file anything with the Hawaii Department of Taxation to receive a tax extension, unless you owe state income tax.

Hawaii state tax extensions are granted automatically unless an additional tax payment is owed.

You are deemed to have an approved Hawaii tax extension as long as the following four conditions are met:

  • 100 percent of your properly estimated state tax liability is paid by April 20
  • Your state tax return is filed within the six-month extension period
  • You include full payment for any tax (not already paid) with your state tax return
  • You are not bound by court order to file a state tax return on or before the given deadline

If you have to make a state income tax payment by April 20 in order to satisfy the first condition (requiring 100 percent payment of your estimated tax liability), submit Hawaii Tax Form N-101A (Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File Hawaii Individual Income Tax Return) with your payment to the Hawaii Department of Taxation.

Form N-101A should only be used if you are requesting a state tax extension and you are making a tax payment for the balance due with the filing of Hawaii Tax Form N-11, N-13, or N-15.

Send Form N-101A to the following address:
Hawaii Department of Taxation, PO Box 1530, Honolulu, Hawaii 96806-1530

Here are some online resources for residents of the Aloha State:

  • Hawaii Department of Taxation website.
  • File your personal income tax extension online.

>> For more information on tax extensions, here is a list that we've compiled of tax extension rules by states.


You May Also Like