You're reading


How to file tax extensions in Missouri


How to file tax extensions in Missouri

Elizabeth Rosen
by Elizabeth Rosen, Contributor

The 2012 income tax returns for residents of the Show-Me State are due by April 15, 2013 (for calendar year filers).

The state of Missouri will grant you an automatic six-month tax extension if you need more time to file, extending your filing due date to Oct. 15, 2013.

You do not need to file a state tax extension request if you do not expect to have any additional state income tax due or if you expect to get a state tax refund. If you have a valid federal tax extension (and you owe zero tax or anticipate a refund) the Missouri Department of Revenue will automatically grant you a corresponding state tax extension. If you did not get a federal extension, you can request a Missouri extension using Tax Form MO-60 (see below).

On the other hand, if you want to request a Missouri tax extension and you expect to owe state income tax, you should file Missouri Tax Form MO-60 (Application for Extension of Time to File).

Make sure to submit Form MO-60 with your tax payment by the original filing deadline (April 15th) to avoid incurring penalties and interest charges.

Mail Form MO-60 to the following address:
Missouri Department of Revenue, PO Box 3400. Jefferson City, Missouri 65105-3400

Here are some online resources for residents of The Show-Me State:

  • Missouri Department of Revenue website.
  • File your personal income tax extension online.

>> The following is a list that we've compiled of tax extension rules by states.