What is federal income tax form 1040NR-EZ?Publicado:
The federal income tax forms 1040NR-EZ are for taxpayers who are non-resident aliens. It’s the short version of the 1040NR, which is for the same group of people. However, there are a few requirements if the taxpayer would like to use the 1040NR-EZ. This makes it very similar to the 1040EZ. That is the simple version of the 1040 federal income tax forms everyone would like to use.
There are several things you must check off if you want to use the 1040NR-EZ. Check below to see if you fit in the requirements for these federal income tax forms.
- You do not claim any dependents
- You cannot be claimed as a dependent
- Your only U.S. income was from wages, salaries, tips, refunds, of state and local income taxes, and scholarship or fellowship grants
- Your taxable income was less than $100,000
- The only exclusion you can take is for scholarship and fellowship grants
- Your only adjustment to income is the student loan interest deduction
- You do not claim tax credits
- If married, you do not claim exemption for your spouse
- The only itemized deduction you can claim is state and local income taxes
- The only taxes you owe are tax from the Tax Table on the form and unreported social security and Medicare tax
- You do not claim a credit for excess social security and tier 1 RRTA tax withheld
As you can see, there are many requirements. If you fit under all of them, you can use the 1040NR-EZ tax forms! This is good news as it is much easier and faster to fill out than the 1040NR federal income tax forms.
What’s On the Form
As the 1040NR-EZ is the simple form of the 1040NR, only the simplest question are on these tax forms.
The first section of the federal income tax forms is for your personal information. This includes your name, address, and identification number. You also check whether your filing status is single or married.
The next section of these federal income tax forms is for income and taxing info. Again, only simple income and deductions may be included if you want to use the 1040NR-EZ. After figuring out this section, you enter what your refund or what you owe is on the tax forms.
Finally, simply sign and date the form. If you had assistance, have them sign and date as well. Now you’re done with your federal income tax forms!