is not affiliated with any government agencies

What federal income tax forms does a married person need to file?

What federal income tax forms does a married person need to file?

The 2010 tax forms you must file as a married person can vary depending on how you and your spouse are filing. There are certain tax forms that you can’t use if you are filing as married but filing separately. However, there are three 2010 tax forms you can choose from. They are the 1040, the 1040A, and the tax forms 1040EZ.

Tax Forms 1040EZ
The tax forms 1040EZ are the simplest of the 1040 series, but you may not be able to file with them. In some instances, you must file as married filing separately. When this situation arises, you cannot use the 2010 tax forms 1040EZ. However, you should try to choose to file jointly if you can. It usually ends up with you getting more money back.

If you are filing jointly, you can use the tax forms 1040EZ. Also, you may file as single. For instance, you may be legally separated and need to claim head of household. If this is the case, you may be able to use these 2010 tax forms as well, as long as you fit other criteria for the forms.

1040A & 1040
Both the 1040A and the 1040 tax forms will let you file as married filing jointly, married filing separately, or single. It depends on your situation.

While filing jointly might get you a higher refund, one spouse may not want to be liable for the other’s taxes. In this case, you would file as married filing separately. Again, you cannot use the tax forms 1040EZ if you file this way. Both the 1040A and 1040 are the 2010 tax forms for you.

Married filing jointly and filing as single taxpayers can use either the 1040 or the 1040A. The 1040A is the ‘simple’ version of the 1040. Basically, if you don’t have any deductions or major adjustments to your income, you can use the 1040A. Otherwise, you must use the 1040. Also, if you have children, the 1040A won’t let you claim them. Instead, choose the 1040.

You May Also Like