is not affiliated with any government agencies

How to Resolve a Tax Issue with the IRS

You should contact the IRS if you have tax questions, such as how to respond to an IRS notice, how to resolve tax problems, how to eliminate tax debt, or to look up your tax refund status.

Individuals may call the IRS at (800) 829-1040. IRS customer service representatives can answer questions about individual tax return preparation, including situations where a taxpayer has received notice of a tax problem.

If you would like to talk to an IRS representative in person, then you should visit a local office or IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center. Refer to your local directory to locate the office in your area.

In case your tax problem has gone unresolved, you may contact the Taxpayer Advocate Service. The role of the Taxpayer Advocate Service is to assist taxpayers as they navigate through the complex tax system. This is a free service that helps to ensure that taxpayers have a voice at the IRS and helps to guarantee fairness.

If you are in doubt about any tax situation it is best to ask the IRS for assistance. Not filing a return or ignoring a notice will only delay the resolution of your problem. Many people find that it is much easier to comply with the requests of the IRS than it is to avoid them.

If you need to make a change to the tax return you already filed ‘ such as report additional income, correct your filing status, or add/remove dependents ‘ you should submit Tax Form 1040X to the IRS. Tax Form 1040X is the federal Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return. It is designed for taxpayers who need to correct mistakes made on Tax Form 1040, Tax Form 1040A, Tax Form 1040EZ, Tax Form 1040EZ-T, Tax Form 1040NR, or Tax Form 1040NR-EZ.

For more information about resolving tax issues with the IRS, please visit the following website:

You May Also Like