is not affiliated with any government agencies

Utah Tax Extension

The income tax returns for residents of The Beehive State are due by April 15 (for taxpayers who file on a calendar year basis).

However, if you need more time to file your return, you can get an automatic six-month extension from the Utah State Tax Commission. However, you cannot get an extension of time to pay your income taxes, which must be paid by the original filing due date (April 15th) to avoid penalties and interest charges.

The state of Utah does not have its own tax extension application form.

In order to get an extension, you must meet one of the following requirements (referred to as “prepayments” by the Utah State Tax Commission):

  • Pay 90% of your 2012 Utah income tax due; or
  • Pay 100% of your 2011 Utah income tax liability

Remember that you must satisfy one of the above requirements by the original filing deadline (typically April 15th) to receive an automatic tax extension. An extension means you will have until October 15 to file your income tax return.

If you need to make an income tax payment for 2012, use Utah Tax Form TC-546 (Individual Income Tax Prepayment Coupon). Do not use this form is your state income tax liability is zero or if you are expecting a state tax refund.

Mail Form TC-546 with payment to the following address:
Income Tax Prepayment, Utah State Tax Commission, 210 N 1950 W, Salt Lake City, Utah 84134-0266

Here are some online resources for residents of The Beehive State:

  • Utah State Tax Commission website.
  • File your personal income tax extension online.

>> The following is a list that we've compiled of tax extension rules by states.


You May Also Like