is not affiliated with any government agencies

How do I find the forms to complete past tax returns?

How do I find the forms to complete past tax returns?

If you need to fill out past tax returns, you have to hunt the proper forms down first. Unfortunately, finding past year’s tax forms is not as easy as heading down to your local post office or library! Finding copies of forms in order to complete past tax returns is a little bit more complicated and requires some research.

Luckily, we’ve done most of the legwork for you. Many websites offer the very documents you need, and you may be surprised how far back you can get them. You may think there’s no way you’ll get returns from 1981, but you may be surprised!

Of course the easiest place to find things nowadays is online. There are many websites that provide whatever you need when it comes to copies of past tax documents. Which website to use depends largely on what returns you need to file and from what year. It also might depend on how quickly you need them.

If you need to file basic past tax returns instantly or within a day, then you can use a website like They provide basic forms like 1040 with just a few clicks of a button. They only go back until 2003, however, so if you need tax forms from further back, you should try somewhere else.

One place to try for more complicated forms and more selection of years is the IRS website itself. The only issue with using this is it can take up to 60 days to get a form in the mail! This clearly won’t work if you need your forms quickly.

If you’d rather call to get copies of past tax returns, try 1-800-TAX-FORM. This is the IRS’ number for ordering the documents. They can help you get whatever forms you need. Keep in mind the 60 day rule of getting the documents. If you need them rushed, you should try elsewhere, like

You May Also Like