is not affiliated with any government agencies

What federal income tax forms does a single person need to file?

What federal income tax forms does a single person need to file?

As a taxpayer qualified as ‘single,’ you have several options available to you when it comes to tax forms. Generally, you’ll be filing with the 1040 series of federal tax forms. Which version of the 1040 you use depends on your exact situation. Also, you might have to fill out other federal tax forms depending on your job situation.

1040 Series
The 1040 series of federal tax forms is split up into three parts, the 1040, 1040A, and the tax forms 1040EZ.

The tax forms 1040EZ have a specific set of requirements if you want to use them.

  • Made less than $100,000
  • Income comes from wages, tips, taxable grants, scholarships, interest under $1,500, unemployment compensation, or Alaska Permanent Funds
  • Must have no dependents
  • Can not take deductions
  • No adjustment to income

If you qualify, you’re in luck. The tax forms 1040EZ are the simplest forms to use when filing taxes. If you don’t qualify, you may be able to use the 1040A.

While not as simple as the federal tax forms 1040EZ, the 1040A is still much simpler than the regular 1040. It does involve some requirements like the previous tax forms. You must adhere to most of the same ones. However, you can use deductions that you can’t find in the 1040EZ. These include student loan interest, child care, and educator expenses.

If you want further deductions or want to make adjustments to income, you must use the regular 1040 tax forms.

Other Forms
There are some other federal tax forms you must take into consideration. For example, if you’re self employed, you must also pick up the Schedule C with your 1040 tax forms. If you’re running a business that’s a corporation, you need multiple forms, including the 1120.

Make sure you get all the forms you need. The 1040 federal tax forms will cover your taxes for yourself, but you may have other obligations. If you’re still unsure, talk to a tax attorney or tax preparation company.

You May Also Like